Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"No Impact Week"

     Reading Music: Ben Harper "My Own Two Hands"  
     Colin Beavey was asked in No Impact Man if there was one thing that people should do differently - be it to stop drinking bottled water, change their lightbulbs, stop drinking coffee, etc. - what would that one thing be? His response was maybe a little surprising to some of those who asked this question. He said that everyone should volunteer or participate in a sustainability event in their own community. It is removing ourselves from our communities that allows us to shed accountability for one another, and begin to act irresponsibly towards our collective environment.

     There were several things that I took away from Colin's documentary. Naturally, I found that it was important to watch his documentary as part of the beginning of my year-long initiative. I expected to find a nice model of how exactly to accomplish an almost impossible goal of a zero carbon footprint. I expected, perhaps, to see a very outlandish person doing very extreme things. What I found instead was a very normal guy, along with his wife and kids, on this adventure that even they didn't understand. I found a family, following dad's conscious, in a "working relationship" which was figuring it all out as they went, and dealing with the difficulties as they came in a positive, objective, and constructive way.

     I have been asked a few times if my project here is a new years resolution. I have a few problems with that. First of all, new years resolutions have a temporary connotation. I'm not resolving to reduce my footprint this year. I'm resolving to reduce my footprint permanently. This year, I'm going to measure it- yes- that means that I might do some things this year that I can't do forever. Just as Colin had to turn his electricity back on to survive the winter- so will I. The main thing is that I'm using this challenge to transform my life in a very real and positive way, and I don't expect to stop trying to improve wherever I can after that year ends. As a scientist and environmentalist, I am choosing to live in alignment with my values that I need to respect nature. With my own two hands...

     YES! Magazine and No Impact Man this week have teamed together for "no impact week" this week. If you want to know more here's a link to a video about it. I'd love to hear if any of my readers decide to try it. Also, if you are looking for more opportunities to volunteer or participate in sustainable initiatives here in Cincinnati, I know of a few, just e-mail me.

     Next week, I'll have some actual numbers to put up as well as information about how the carbon calculator I will be using works. I'll look forward to then, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment